2021 JordanCon Costume Contest
We know that many of you have been working on that perfect costume for over a year now. We’re excited to say that we WILL be hosting the always-popular Costume Contest this year despite reduced programming! Sign ups will be slightly different, so please see below for details. We can’t wait to see what you’ve come up with.
- Contestants may choose to compete for juried awards or only for Judges Choice/Audience Choice
- Due to time constraints, we will be limiting the number of entries to the following:
- We will accept the first 20 contestants to sign up who wish to be considered for juried awards. (Best in Show, Best in Class, or Best Workmanship)
- We will accept an additional 10 participants for Judges Choice or Audience Choice awards only, but these will not be pre-judged or considered for the “Best of” categories.
- Mandatory pre-judging for juried entrants will take place at 4 PM in the Main Programing Room (Dunwoody Ballroom). Please arrive early or you may not be eligible for juried awards.
- Participants who are not being pre-judged should arrive by 5 PM.
- Each entry will have approximately 1-2 minutes to present their costume while the emcee reads your pre-written description. Please write descriptions clearly and provide pronunciations, otherwise the emcee will ad-lib at their own discretion.
The following awards will be given at the end of the contest:
- Best in Show– The best overall entrant from all classes.
- Best in Class– The best entrant from each class that is not also the Best in Show.
- Best Workmanship– The entrant with the best workmanship who has not also won Best in Class or Show.
- Judges Choice– Each judge may choose to present an award to any contestant that does not also receive a “Best of” award.
- Audience Choice– This award will be chosen based on audience reaction.
Classes for Juried Awards
- Entrants may enter one of the 3 classes (below).
- Novice– Anyone who has never won an award before.
- Journeyman– Anyone who has won 2 or fewer Best in Class awards or no more than 1 Best in Show.
- Master– Anyone who has won Best in Show more than once or Best in Class 3 or more times.
- Classes are determined by placement in previous JordanCon Costume Contests only; however, entrants may choose to enter in a higher class based on other factors. Entrants may not enter a lower class. Group entries will be classified by the highest entrant in the group.
- Entrants will be judged on the following equally-weighted criteria.
- Accuracy (how well it matches the source material)
- Craftsmanship (how well constructed the self-made pieces are)
- Presentation (the overall look and appeal of the entry)
- Entrants are expected to abide by the JordanCon Code of Conduct.
- Contestants should provide their own handlers for any large or obstructive costumes.
- Contestants should be aware of any part of their costumes or props that may cause damage to the facilities or other contestants and take necessary precautions. If your costume is considered a problem by the organizers, you may be asked to leave.
- Registration will take place online via the Eventeny ticketing system. Only 20 tickets will be available for juried awards. An additional 10 openings will be available for Judges Choice or Audience Choice awards only. Tickets to enter the costume contest are free of charge.
- Entries will be taken on a first come, first served basis.
- Tickets/entries for the Costume Contest will go live July 14 at 8:00 AM EDT. Please only sign up for ONE type of participation ticket/entry. The link provided below contains tickets (entries) for both types of contestants.
- No entries will be taken after 1:00 PM Saturday or after the online tickets have been filled, whichever comes first.
- Link to tickets for the JordanCon Costume Contest Awards is here.