Today JordanCon shares the news that April Moore and Leslie Annis have stepped down from their roles leading the Art Show. JordanCon thanks them for their contribution to the convention.
For the past 8 years, JordanCon’s Art Show has brought joy to many attendees. We have brought in some of the best artists in the industry to JordanCon to share their works with others. We have created lifelong friends with new artists, working in the Art Show, or just simple admirers of fine art. Comments from artists at other conventions tell tales of how well run our Art Show is and how they enjoy coming to JordanCon.
April and Leslie has brought tremendous energy to the Art Show. Their leadership has made JordanCon’s Art Show one of the best in the Southeast. April helped build the Art Show back in 2012. Soon Leslie joined the Art Show as a volunteer and worked her way up to become April’s right hand. Together they were instrumental in creating the expanding the Art Show to what you see today, creating a Print Shop so we can buy that piece of art we would win in the Art Auction, and worked with our Programming team in developing an Art Track, where we enjoy panels like Win, Lose, and Draw, and the Charity Art Jam.
The Art Show will remain an integral part of JordanCon, and we will be looking to find a new Art Show Director and Manager in the coming days. Until then, please join us in thanking them for their hard work and dedication. If you see them at JordanCon, be sure to thank them and maybe buy them a drink (Leslie likes bourbon and April likes wine).
Until next time,
Jennifer and Jimmy Liang
This is a new Director-level position within the Operations Division. New Member Services welcomes our first-time attendees into the JordanCon family by providing information and assistance both at the convention and via social media and email between conventions.
The Director of New Member Services will be assisted by a Manager and will report to the Officer/Deputy of Operations
· Ability to attend JordanCon each year;
· Familiarity with JordanCon and its culture;
· Strong communications skills (written and oral);
· Patient, friendly, outgoing personality;
· Comfortable with reaching out to new people;
· Ability to work unsupervised as well as collaborate with other departments and divisions;
· Organizational skills;
· Dedication and follow-through;
· Comfortable speaking in front of small groups.
· Minimum one (1) year as a JordanCon volunteer.
· Prior attendance at multiple JordanCon events;
· Prior attendance at JCon’s Speed Friending panel;
· Experience in a leadership/developmental role;
· Familiarity with the area around the convention site;
· Public speaking.
Candidates should have the ability to traverse and maneuver crowded hotel & convention spaces assisted or unassisted and be comfortable being part of or leading groups of people.
DUTIES: (this is a developing role and duties may change or expand)
· Create/update/maintain various New Attendees resources for the website, social media, blog, etc.
· Develop programs/activities to integrate new attendees into JordanCon and its culture;
· Work with Member Engagement, Programming, Communications, and other departments/divisions to identify and/or develop activities oriented towards new attendees;
· Monitor and respond to posts and emails from new or potentially new attendees;
· Create a welcoming and inclusive atmosphere;
· Work with Accessibility to facilitate special needs of new attendees to the extent possible;
· Develop and maintain a New Attendee Packet with important information and helpful tips.
At the Convention:
· Organize and lead one or more tours of the hotel and convention spaces for new attendees;
· Attend the Speed Friending panel on Friday and encourage others to attend;
· Be available to answer questions, provide maps/schedules, and to assist new attendees who may need help engaging or feeling overwhelmed;
· Solicit feedback from new attendees regarding their experiences and what we can do to improve.
Anticipated Time Commitment:
· May-December – 1 hour week
· January – April – 1-3 hours week
· At JordanCon – Friday – approx. 4 hours
Sat & Sun – approx. 2 hours each
Interested applicants should email HR@jordancon.org and include a brief summary of their qualifications and attach a basic resume that speaks to their skills and experiences relevant to the position.
Applications will be accepted through March 15, 2019.
Candidate review and selection should be completed by March 24, 2019.
Selected candidate should expect to begin work immediately (on a scaled-down basis due to the proximity to this year’s convention.)