by Art Show | Sep 20, 2019 | Announcements, Art Show, Job Postings
Today JordanCon shares the news that April Moore and Leslie Annis have stepped down from their roles leading the Art Show. JordanCon thanks them for their contribution to the convention.
For the past 8 years, JordanCon’s Art Show has brought joy to many attendees. We have brought in some of the best artists in the industry to JordanCon to share their works with others. We have created lifelong friends with new artists, working in the Art Show, or just simple admirers of fine art. Comments from artists at other conventions tell tales of how well run our Art Show is and how they enjoy coming to JordanCon.
April and Leslie has brought tremendous energy to the Art Show. Their leadership has made JordanCon’s Art Show one of the best in the Southeast. April helped build the Art Show back in 2012. Soon Leslie joined the Art Show as a volunteer and worked her way up to become April’s right hand. Together they were instrumental in creating the expanding the Art Show to what you see today, creating a Print Shop so we can buy that piece of art we would win in the Art Auction, and worked with our Programming team in developing an Art Track, where we enjoy panels like Win, Lose, and Draw, and the Charity Art Jam.
The Art Show will remain an integral part of JordanCon, and we will be looking to find a new Art Show Director and Manager in the coming days. Until then, please join us in thanking them for their hard work and dedication. If you see them at JordanCon, be sure to thank them and maybe buy them a drink (Leslie likes bourbon and April likes wine).
Until next time,
Jennifer and Jimmy Liang
by Communications Team | Jun 3, 2019 | Job Postings
JordanCon Director of Media Relations
JordanCon is seeking a Director of Media Relations to coordinate our relationship with external media partners. This role manages on-site media representatives at the event and builds relationships with external partners to promote awareness and engagement driving increased memberships. The role is also responsible for planning and creating content updates for media partners and sites through the year.
The preferred candidate must be motivated, experienced, have outstanding communication skills and be a proactive individual. An ability to publish timely and professional press releases is crucial. Successful candidates should have a knowledge of JordanCon culture and processes, a passion for growing our reach and awareness levels, and the ability to represent JordanCon with professionalism and enthusiasm. Prior experience with media relations is preferred as well as a familiarity with key media partners (e.g. Dragonmount, 17th Shard, TarValon.net, leading podcasters, leading YouTube channelers, etc.) This role requires approximately two hours per week during the year as needed depending on workload to support JordanCon initiatives and projects. During the convention itself, a minimum of five hours is anticipated.
To be considered, the candidate must have at least one year of experience as a volunteer for JordanCon. JordanCon embraces diversity. All applicants will be considered for positions without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
The Director of Media Relations can expect to perform the following duties:
- Coordinate with media outlets to generate coverage and awareness of JordanCon – at the event, and throughout the year
- Develop collaborative relationships and share information with high priority partners (e.g. Big Bang Life, Dragonmount.com, 17th Shard, TarValon.Net, etc.)
- Compose and disseminate press releases
- Creation, allocation, & distribution of media packets (including pink “Media” badge ribbons, digital and physical assets, schedule information, best practices, etc.)
- Update external JordanCon listings (e.g. Wikipedia pages, FanCons.com, JOF Facebook group, etc.)
- Evaluate and recommend strategic use of professional and fan sites (e.g. File770.com, LocusMag.com, etc.)
- Assist in Search Engine Optimization Strategy
To be considered, applicants should submit an email to HR@jordancon.org with the subject “Media Director.” The email should include a brief statement summarizing their qualifications and information relevant to the position. An informal resume that highlights skills and experiences that pertain to this position as described above should be attached to the email.
Applications will be accepted through June 30, 2019.
by admin | Mar 3, 2019 | Job Postings
This is a new Director-level position within the Operations Division. New Member Services welcomes our first-time attendees into the JordanCon family by providing information and assistance both at the convention and via social media and email between conventions.
The Director of New Member Services will be assisted by a Manager and will report to the Officer/Deputy of Operations
· Ability to attend JordanCon each year;
· Familiarity with JordanCon and its culture;
· Strong communications skills (written and oral);
· Patient, friendly, outgoing personality;
· Comfortable with reaching out to new people;
· Ability to work unsupervised as well as collaborate with other departments and divisions;
· Organizational skills;
· Dedication and follow-through;
· Comfortable speaking in front of small groups.
· Minimum one (1) year as a JordanCon volunteer.
· Prior attendance at multiple JordanCon events;
· Prior attendance at JCon’s Speed Friending panel;
· Experience in a leadership/developmental role;
· Familiarity with the area around the convention site;
· Public speaking.
Candidates should have the ability to traverse and maneuver crowded hotel & convention spaces assisted or unassisted and be comfortable being part of or leading groups of people.
DUTIES: (this is a developing role and duties may change or expand)
· Create/update/maintain various New Attendees resources for the website, social media, blog, etc.
· Develop programs/activities to integrate new attendees into JordanCon and its culture;
· Work with Member Engagement, Programming, Communications, and other departments/divisions to identify and/or develop activities oriented towards new attendees;
· Monitor and respond to posts and emails from new or potentially new attendees;
· Create a welcoming and inclusive atmosphere;
· Work with Accessibility to facilitate special needs of new attendees to the extent possible;
· Develop and maintain a New Attendee Packet with important information and helpful tips.
At the Convention:
· Organize and lead one or more tours of the hotel and convention spaces for new attendees;
· Attend the Speed Friending panel on Friday and encourage others to attend;
· Be available to answer questions, provide maps/schedules, and to assist new attendees who may need help engaging or feeling overwhelmed;
· Solicit feedback from new attendees regarding their experiences and what we can do to improve.
Anticipated Time Commitment:
· May-December – 1 hour week
· January – April – 1-3 hours week
· At JordanCon – Friday – approx. 4 hours
Sat & Sun – approx. 2 hours each
Interested applicants should email HR@jordancon.org and include a brief summary of their qualifications and attach a basic resume that speaks to their skills and experiences relevant to the position.
Applications will be accepted through March 15, 2019.
Candidate review and selection should be completed by March 24, 2019.
Selected candidate should expect to begin work immediately (on a scaled-down basis due to the proximity to this year’s convention.)