by Programming | Apr 13, 2023 | Activities, Programming
2023 JordanCon Costume Contest registration is open! We will be taking sign ups for this year’s contest until 1 PM Saturday, April 22 or until all entry slots are full. I’ll post the rules below, but they are also included in our registration form. If you have any questions, please reach out to email@example.com. We can’t wait to see what you have created this year!
The link to sign up can be found here.
Contestants may choose to compete for “Best of” awards (Juried Entries) or only for Judges Choice/Audience Choice (Exhibition Entries).
Due to time constraints, we will be limiting the number of entries to the following:
We will accept the first 20 contestants to sign up who wish to be considered for juried awards. (Best in Show, Best in Class, or Best Workmanship)
Anyone else who wishes to participate may be eligible for Judges Choice or Audience Choice, but will not be pre-judged or considered for the Best of categories.
Mandatory pre-judging for juried entrants will take place between 2:30 and 4:30 in Ashford. Please arrive on time or you may not be eligible for judging.
Participants who are not being pre-judged should come to Ashford by 4:30 to check in.
Each entry will have approximately 1-2 minutes to walk across the stage to present their costume while the emcee reads your pre-written description. Please write descriptions clearly and provide pronunciations, otherwise the Emcee will ad-lib at their own discretion.
Classes are determined by placement in previous JordanCon Costume Contests only, however entrants may choose to enter in a higher class based on other factors. Entrants may not enter a lower class. Group entries will be classified by the highest entrant in the group. Judges may choose to award a contestant an award from a higher class during judging should they deem entrance to be exceptional for their class.
The following awards will be given at the end of the contest:
- Best in Show- The highest scored entrance from all categories.
- Best Workmanship- The entrant with the highest score in workmanship who has not also won Best in Show.
- Best in Class- The best entrant from each class that is not also the Best in Show or Best Workmanship
- Judges Choice- Each judge may choose to present an award to any contestant that does not also receive a Best of award.
- Audience Choice- This award will be chosen based on audience reaction.
by Programming | Apr 8, 2023 | Programming, Uncategorized
This year we’re doing something a bit different for Friday night at JordanCon. We know many of you love karaoke, and we do too! But this year is our 15th anniversary, and we wanted to do something special. In the Wheel of Time series our very own JordanCon founders, Jennifer & Jimmy Liang, were written into the books as innkeepers at “The Yearly Brawl.” In honor of that we are hosting a pub/tavern night on Friday. Marc Gunn is joining us again and will kick us off playing music. If you’re not yet familiar with Marc, he is a traditional Celtic musician with a science fiction and fantasy twist. You can check out his website here.
In addition to music from Marc, we’re going to open up the mic! Some of you may have a song you were practicing all year in anticipation of karaoke, some of you like to play and sing with your friends or are part of the filking community, maybe you’re a poet and want to showcase some new work. We’re making time for this too. You can sign up for an open mic slot at this link. We’ll have a keyboard on the stage if you play or you can bring your own instrument. Back up tracks will need to be provided by you! Time allowing, we’ll also have some traditional pub sing-alongs throughout the night.
What’s a pub night without games? We’ll be providing cards, dice, “coins,” and a variety of printed game rules for each table. Rumor has it, there will be some dominoes sets as well if you want to kick back and “throw some bones” with your table.
Our JordanCon family has always enjoyed spending time together and making connections. We’re hoping that our pub night this year will continue to foster those opportunities. We’re very excited to host you for this night and hope you enjoy it.
See you in a few weeks!
Welcome Home to JordanCon. <3
The JordanCon Programming team
by Programming | Jan 20, 2023 | Activities, Programming
Do you want to create using the colors of Nalthis to command the light of Roshar? While we can’t transport you to the Cosmere, we can introduce you to Master Stained Glass Artisan Leia Powell. She has been creating glass
masterpieces, breaking down barriers, and rejuvenating the old world craft for over 25 years. The first stained glass artist to be nominated for the coveted Chesley Award, Leia is also the first glass artist in history to be the sole maker of an author’s trademarked characters: Edgar Rice Burroughs. Additionally, Leia has been licensed to make official JordanCon stained glass! Her three-dimensional dragons can be seen flying around the convention along with a host of other glass creations. Her intricate stained glass windows and fantastical builds have won her multiple art show awards at LibertyCon, Chattacon, and JordanCon. Her fused glass jewelry is a testament to how glorious melting glass at 1200 degrees can be. Leia keeps apprentices and interns on staff at her studio, Wildcat Mountain Artistry, in Florence, Alabama, and is determined to teach everyone she can to ensure the flame of stained glass creativity keeps burning.
At JordanCon 2023, Leia is offering a stained glass demonstration and a Learn to Cut Glass by a Master workshop in the Makers Track:
- The demonstration does not require registration or a fee.
- Glass cutting students will leave the class with a completed 9 ½” x 8 ½” piece to take home.
- There is a $200 fee that will be prepaid directly to Leia. It includes a student kit full of tools and
glass to keep.
- Sign up is first come, first serve. Mark your calendars for: 11 am Eastern on Saturday Jan 21st. That is when Leia will open registration for the class on Facebook.
If you are a returning student, you have the option to bring your tools and make a more difficult pattern that Leia will design especially for you. You will also receive more of a variety of glass, so stipulate if you plan to bring your tools. Should you forget them, some will be on-hand to purchase, sorry no loaners.
The class will be held Saturday, April 22, 2023, 2:30 pm – 5 pm.
Leia will post on the JordanCon Facebook group Saturday January 21st at 11 am Eastern. Engage with the post to reserve one of the 12 open seats. You will select your pattern and be given directions to prepay for the class. Once the class is full, there will be two alternates chosen in case someone has to cancel. If an alternate is able to participate, they will have to make whatever the canceled student chose. Because this class requires a significant amount of preparation, no refunds will be available.
This is a high demand class that typically fills up in less than a day so mark your calendars!
by Programming | Apr 19, 2022 | Uncategorized
This year’s convention game incorporates two of our favorite things at JordanCon – poker like the one on w88 for pc, and The Wheel of Time. The game play is open to all members and is a fun addition to your regular convention shenanigans. You must seek out new allies and conduct delicate negotiations to obtain just the right cards to achieve a winning hand. Anyone can play, few will win, but you cannot win alone.
Make new friends, or bitter enemies, by simply trading playing cards to obtain a straight flush. Lots of possibilities, so many potential allies, only two days to find the right five cards. To the victors, a copy of The World of Robert Jordan’s The Wheel of Time!
Rules for the Game
- Each player receives a hand of five randomized red and blue playing cards and can have no more or less than five cards at any time.
- Write your name legibly on each card in some conspicuous blank space, edges, etc.
- Find other players to trade with, you might ask conspiratorially “Do you play the game?”
- You may trade one card with each new player you ally with, trading a card with your name, perhaps others, for a card with their name, and perhaps others.
- The goal is to make any straight flush of all one-color deck, either red or blue, such as Ace-2-3-4-5 clubs, 4-5-6-7-8 spades, or 10-J-Q-K-Ace hearts, etc.
- You may trade each card up to four times, with each previous player’s name on the card along with yours, with a maximum of five names on each card.
- If a card is traded four times, there should be a total of five names on the card, including your own. Now, the card is locked and cannot be traded any further.
- You do not need to trade all of your starting cards, nor must you trade each card four times. It is encouraged for collaboration, however, and improves everyone’s chances of winning as your name appears on more cards along with your network of allies.
- When you have a straight flush of all red or all blue cards, turn them in, have them marked for confirmation, and drop them in to our drawing to win a copy of the World of Robert Jordan’s The Wheel of Time! There may be some additional secret prizes as well, you’ll have to play to find out.
- So, choose your trades carefully, negotiate, make allies, form a house, a clan, or guild of collaborators seeking just the right trades. But most of all, seek out new players of the Game and make new friends.
Our Onsite Events Coordinator will be set up near the Registration desk for supplies and questions regarding game play. Stop by and see Daniel, join the fun, and try for your chance at the prize.
by Programming | Jul 6, 2021 | Activities, Announcements, Main, Programming, Uncategorized
We know that many of you have been working on that perfect costume for over a year now. We’re excited to say that we WILL be hosting the always-popular Costume Contest this year despite reduced programming! Sign ups will be slightly different, so please see below for details. We can’t wait to see what you’ve come up with.
- Contestants may choose to compete for juried awards or only for Judges Choice/Audience Choice
- Due to time constraints, we will be limiting the number of entries to the following:
- We will accept the first 20 contestants to sign up who wish to be considered for juried awards. (Best in Show, Best in Class, or Best Workmanship)
- We will accept an additional 10 participants for Judges Choice or Audience Choice awards only, but these will not be pre-judged or considered for the “Best of” categories.
- Mandatory pre-judging for juried entrants will take place at 4 PM in the Main Programing Room (Dunwoody Ballroom). Please arrive early or you may not be eligible for juried awards.
- Participants who are not being pre-judged should arrive by 5 PM.
- Each entry will have approximately 1-2 minutes to present their costume while the emcee reads your pre-written description. Please write descriptions clearly and provide pronunciations, otherwise the emcee will ad-lib at their own discretion.
The following awards will be given at the end of the contest:
- Best in Show– The best overall entrant from all classes.
- Best in Class– The best entrant from each class that is not also the Best in Show.
- Best Workmanship– The entrant with the best workmanship who has not also won Best in Class or Show.
- Judges Choice– Each judge may choose to present an award to any contestant that does not also receive a “Best of” award.
- Audience Choice– This award will be chosen based on audience reaction.
Classes for Juried Awards
- Entrants may enter one of the 3 classes (below).
- Novice– Anyone who has never won an award before.
- Journeyman– Anyone who has won 2 or fewer Best in Class awards or no more than 1 Best in Show.
- Master– Anyone who has won Best in Show more than once or Best in Class 3 or more times.
- Classes are determined by placement in previous JordanCon Costume Contests only; however, entrants may choose to enter in a higher class based on other factors. Entrants may not enter a lower class. Group entries will be classified by the highest entrant in the group.
- Entrants will be judged on the following equally-weighted criteria.
- Accuracy (how well it matches the source material)
- Craftsmanship (how well constructed the self-made pieces are)
- Presentation (the overall look and appeal of the entry)
- Entrants are expected to abide by the JordanCon Code of Conduct.
- Contestants should provide their own handlers for any large or obstructive costumes.
- Contestants should be aware of any part of their costumes or props that may cause damage to the facilities or other contestants and take necessary precautions. If your costume is considered a problem by the organizers, you may be asked to leave.
- Registration will take place online via the Eventeny ticketing system. Only 20 tickets will be available for juried awards. An additional 10 openings will be available for Judges Choice or Audience Choice awards only. Tickets to enter the costume contest are free of charge.
- Entries will be taken on a first come, first served basis.
- Tickets/entries for the Costume Contest will go live July 14 at 8:00 AM EDT. Please only sign up for ONE type of participation ticket/entry. The link provided below contains tickets (entries) for both types of contestants.
- No entries will be taken after 1:00 PM Saturday or after the online tickets have been filled, whichever comes first.
- Link to tickets for the JordanCon Costume Contest Awards is here.