JordanCon Director of Media Relations
JordanCon is seeking a Director of Media Relations to coordinate our relationship with external media partners. This role manages on-site media representatives at the event and builds relationships with external partners to promote awareness and engagement driving increased memberships. The role is also responsible for planning and creating content updates for media partners and sites through the year.
The preferred candidate must be motivated, experienced, have outstanding communication skills and be a proactive individual. An ability to publish timely and professional press releases is crucial. Successful candidates should have a knowledge of JordanCon culture and processes, a passion for growing our reach and awareness levels, and the ability to represent JordanCon with professionalism and enthusiasm. Prior experience with media relations is preferred as well as a familiarity with key media partners (e.g. Dragonmount, 17th Shard, TarValon.net, leading podcasters, leading YouTube channelers, etc.) This role requires approximately two hours per week during the year as needed depending on workload to support JordanCon initiatives and projects. During the convention itself, a minimum of five hours is anticipated.
To be considered, the candidate must have at least one year of experience as a volunteer for JordanCon. JordanCon embraces diversity. All applicants will be considered for positions without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
The Director of Media Relations can expect to perform the following duties:
- Coordinate with media outlets to generate coverage and awareness of JordanCon – at the event, and throughout the year
- Develop collaborative relationships and share information with high priority partners (e.g. Big Bang Life, Dragonmount.com, 17th Shard, TarValon.Net, etc.)
- Compose and disseminate press releases
- Creation, allocation, & distribution of media packets (including pink “Media” badge ribbons, digital and physical assets, schedule information, best practices, etc.)
- Update external JordanCon listings (e.g. Wikipedia pages, FanCons.com, JOF Facebook group, etc.)
- Evaluate and recommend strategic use of professional and fan sites (e.g. File770.com, LocusMag.com, etc.)
- Assist in Search Engine Optimization Strategy
To be considered, applicants should submit an email to HR@jordancon.org with the subject “Media Director.” The email should include a brief statement summarizing their qualifications and information relevant to the position. An informal resume that highlights skills and experiences that pertain to this position as described above should be attached to the email.
Applications will be accepted through June 30, 2019.