Here at JordanCon, we have strived to keep our attendance costs as reasonable as we can while still providing an amazing experience for our attendees. To that end, we have not raised our membership prices in ten years, and we’ve continued increasing our offerings to our attendees – more tracks, more panels, more member activities, more artists, more vendors, and (maybe most importantly) more food at our fabulous ConSuite!
Now, though, we have to face the financial realities of being a non-profit convention run solely by volunteers that has all of these great things we offer, and we have to raise our membership prices, just a little bit. While we hate having to face that financial reality, we’re hopeful that it will allow us to continue offering bigger and better things to our attendees in the coming years.
Our 2020 schedule of membership prices are as follows:
- $50: June 14th – September 2nd
- $55: September 3rd – December 31st
- $65: January 1st – March 20th (pre-registration closes)
- $75: at the door
You can purchase your memberships here, right now.
This is a new Director-level position within the Operations Division. New Member Services welcomes our first-time attendees into the JordanCon family by providing information and assistance both at the convention and via social media and email between conventions.
The Director of New Member Services will be assisted by a Manager and will report to the Officer/Deputy of Operations
· Ability to attend JordanCon each year;
· Familiarity with JordanCon and its culture;
· Strong communications skills (written and oral);
· Patient, friendly, outgoing personality;
· Comfortable with reaching out to new people;
· Ability to work unsupervised as well as collaborate with other departments and divisions;
· Organizational skills;
· Dedication and follow-through;
· Comfortable speaking in front of small groups.
· Minimum one (1) year as a JordanCon volunteer.
· Prior attendance at multiple JordanCon events;
· Prior attendance at JCon’s Speed Friending panel;
· Experience in a leadership/developmental role;
· Familiarity with the area around the convention site;
· Public speaking.
Candidates should have the ability to traverse and maneuver crowded hotel & convention spaces assisted or unassisted and be comfortable being part of or leading groups of people.
DUTIES: (this is a developing role and duties may change or expand)
· Create/update/maintain various New Attendees resources for the website, social media, blog, etc.
· Develop programs/activities to integrate new attendees into JordanCon and its culture;
· Work with Member Engagement, Programming, Communications, and other departments/divisions to identify and/or develop activities oriented towards new attendees;
· Monitor and respond to posts and emails from new or potentially new attendees;
· Create a welcoming and inclusive atmosphere;
· Work with Accessibility to facilitate special needs of new attendees to the extent possible;
· Develop and maintain a New Attendee Packet with important information and helpful tips.
At the Convention:
· Organize and lead one or more tours of the hotel and convention spaces for new attendees;
· Attend the Speed Friending panel on Friday and encourage others to attend;
· Be available to answer questions, provide maps/schedules, and to assist new attendees who may need help engaging or feeling overwhelmed;
· Solicit feedback from new attendees regarding their experiences and what we can do to improve.
Anticipated Time Commitment:
· May-December – 1 hour week
· January – April – 1-3 hours week
· At JordanCon – Friday – approx. 4 hours
Sat & Sun – approx. 2 hours each
Interested applicants should email HR@jordancon.org and include a brief summary of their qualifications and attach a basic resume that speaks to their skills and experiences relevant to the position.
Applications will be accepted through March 15, 2019.
Candidate review and selection should be completed by March 24, 2019.
Selected candidate should expect to begin work immediately (on a scaled-down basis due to the proximity to this year’s convention.)
In This Issue:
- Coffee in Cornwall
- Science Fiction Trends
- Honorverse & The Royal Manticore Navy
- British TV and Film
Let’s talk quickly about the rest of our fun and great panels. We will see you Friday at 2:30pm!
Coffee in Cornwall. A discussion of British science fiction old and new
New In Science: 2017-2018. We put the science in our science fiction track.
Science Fiction Trends 2018. We talk about the books you should be reading
Royal Manticore Navy: Who Are They? A discussion on the history of the Honorverse.
Blake’s 7 & Beyond. A discussion of British SF television and film.
We have an amazing series of Workshops scheduled for you this year – from leather tooling and pewter casting to mum making, pattern making, crating Stormlight glyphs and more!
All Workshops will have sign-up forms at Registration. Be sure you sign up early so you don’t miss your spot!
You may have noticed on the schedule that Workshops typically have a nominal fee for participants. That’s to help pay for the materials you use to create the Workshop products. 🙂 All supply fees will be collected by the teachers in class. Please have exact change, when possible.
Don’t forget to share pics of your amazing Workshop creations on social media using #JordanCon, #JCon10, #JConWorkshops!!!!