JordanCon is excited to announce that for JordanCon 2020 (April 17-19, 2020), in partnership with numerous of our professional guests, we will be compiling a printed anthology of short stories. These will be sold at JordanCon 2020 to help support our charity fundraising for the convention charity that year. What’s more, these stories will be written by JordanCon members and guests! Which members? Well, that is what we are about to find out because submissions are now open!
Eligibility to Submit
Submissions are open to any person who has attended JordanCon and not been a guest or published in the 2019 Anthology. If you wish to submit and are a prior guest, or you were in the 2019 anthology, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions on how to submit as a “Prior Guest”.
The JordanCon 2020 Anthology is now accepting submissions. To submit, please follow the link at the bottom of this page. Please also carefully read our submission guidelines.
The theme of the JordanCon 2020 Anthology is “Legends”. We are looking for stories that in some way play with the idea of legends. Examples of approaches to this topic could be legendary creatures, legends about lost civilizations, cultures, or cities, stories that take place during an “Age of Legends”, or even about the creation of a legend. This list is not exhaustive, and we appreciate creativity.
Stories must also be “Science Fiction, Fantasy, or Horror,” meaning that they must contain elements of one or more of these genres, and those elements must be somehow critical to the story.
We are primarily looking for short stories up to 7500 words in length. We are also potentially looking for a novella to include in the collection, up to 20,000 words in length. When you submit, please indicate if you are submitting to be considered for one of the short story slots, or the singular novella slot.
While you may submit one short story and one novella each, only a maximum of one story per author will be chosen for inclusion in the anthology. Please, only one of each type of submission per author.
All submissions must be in .docx or .rtf format.
All submissions must be original works. We are not looking for reprints in this submission process. We will be asking for first print and digital rights and non-exclusive rights to print and digital of your accepted story as part of any future printings of the 2020 Anthology.
All submissions must be in a manuscript format. Generally speaking, that means:
- Size 12 font, either courier new or times new roman
- Double spaced, 1-inch margins, and a half-inch indent at the start of each new paragraph
- No extra spaces between paragraphs.
- Author’s name and the work’s title in the header of each page after the first. Page number in the footer of every page.
- The first page should start with the title, then the author’s name on the next line, then a blank line, then the text of the story.
- Italics and bolds can use your word processor’s formatting. You do not need to do underlines for italics, etc.
Submissions are due August 26, 2019.
Authors selected for inclusion in the JordanCon 2020 Anthology will receive the following:
- A US $50 honorarium for a short story, a US $100 honorarium for a novella.
- A complimentary copy of the 2020 Anthology, mailed to you if you cannot attend JordanCon 2020.
- Two rounds of professional editing service, as well as professional copy-editing provided by past guest editors of JordanCon.
To submit, simply fill out this google form: SUBMIT HERE.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the editor, Richard Fife, at email@example.com.