JordanCon is excited to announce that for JordanCon 2019 (April 26-28, 2019), in partnership with numerous of our professional guests, we will be compiling a printed anthology of short stories. These will be sold at JordanCon 2019 to help support our charity fundraising for the Mayo Clinic’s amyloidosis research. What’s more, these stories will be written by JordanCon members and guests! Which members? Well, that is what we are about to find out, because submissions are now open!
Eligibility to Submit
Short story submissions will be accepted from anyone who has been a JordanCon member. What does that mean? Simply put, anyone who has attended JordanCon in the past, be it as an attendee, a guest, a program participant, a vendor, etc., is qualified to submit a short story to this collection. If you have ever had a JordanCon badge, this means you.
What we are looking for is narrative short fiction no longer than 7,500 words. The story should have at least some element of science fiction or fantasy, and it should be a self-contained story. We will be asking for exclusive print and digital rights to the story for six months from publication (April 26, 2019), after which those rights will revert to you. The submission may be a reprint of prior published works, but you must be able to offer us exclusive digital and print rights (that is to say, it needs to be something that is not presently being printed in another place).
We are not looking for poetry, chapters or sections of longer works (that are not a self-contained story), or mature-themed stories (keep it PG-13).
Only one submission per person, please. We want to see your best!
Submissions must be made electronically via the form below, and follow “Manuscript Format”. Since there are a few definitions for what that means, here is what we want:
- Courier New 12pt font
- .5” first-line paragraph indentation
- No extra space between paragraphs
- Italics and bold can either use in-processor italic and bold, or copy-editor marks (straight underline for italic, wavy underline for bold), so long as it is consistently in-processor or copy-editor marks for both italic and bold.
- Section breaks should be indicated by a blank line, a centered asterisk (*) or pound (#), then another blank line.
- The author’s name, submission title and page number should be in the header of every page except the first, which should have only the author’s name and page number in the header.
- The first page should have the title in size 24 font, centered, followed by a blank line (size 12 font), followed by the first line of the story.
The submission should be either a .docx or .rtf file format. Please, no .pdfs.
Submissions are due by Aug. 26, 2018, 10 p.m. EDT.
As this is for charity, there will be no advances or royalties paid towards accepted work. What authors will receive, though, is the services of professional editors as we polish this work into the absolutely amazing collection of stories we know it will be.
We are also doing this in general because we think it would be a fun thing to do for our convention.
So, have a story to tell? Then submit away!
Questions? Email the Writers Track.