Well, JordanConers, the schedule is out and it is time to start making plans! But, if you are new to Conventions, the schedule can be a lot!! So, here are some quick terms and notes about all the information that you can find on the schedule.
- TRACKS – Track is the name given to a specific room or rooms generally being used for similarly themed panels.
- PANELS – A panel is a staff or guest-led discussion about a particular topic.
- MODERATOR – This is a volunteer who helps guide the conversation on panels, makes sure the panelists don’t get too off-topic, and keeps an eye on the time. The moderator often has some additional knowledge of the panel topic.
- PANELIST – The panelists are who you came to see! They will be the ones discussing the topic of the panel.
JordanCon 2022 Tracks
Main Programming – From Opening Ceremonies to Closing Ceremonies, JordanCon’s Main Programming is the centerpiece of the convention. It is home to such activities as the Costume Contest, Karaoke, JordanCon Dance Party, Author Signings, and Q&As
Art Track – Our goal for our track is to expand appreciation of art and artists among the general JordanCon membership and also to provide a great mentoring and networking environment for artists, whether they are just starting out or are seasoned professionals.
Fantasy Track – JordanCon’s Fantasy Track offers programming spanning a wide range of stories and worlds. From traditional fantasy like Lord of the Rings to more modern fantasy like Harry Potter to Young Adult stories and even Urban Fantasy like The Dresden Files. And they cover TV and movies too.
Gaming Track – The Gaming Track Room is constantly bustling with gamers of all sorts. You can always find something to do here! It houses many demo games available to be played on one of the many banquet size tables available for open gaming. Want to bring your own game to play? No problem! If there’s an open table, you are more than welcome to come on in and play.
Science Fiction Track – JordanCon’s Science Fiction track is dedicated to opening new worlds to you, our members, and letting you get lost in the multiverse. Our guests lead the conversations in a myriad of panel discussions on everything from the earliest days of SciFi, to the modern masters and everyone in between. We have a passion for SciFi and we always seek to spread that passion around!
Writer’s Track – The JordanCon Writers track is a place to come learn about the art, craft, and business of writing. We have topics that range from traditional to self-publishing, editing and other aspects of writing, and workshops
Wheel of Time Track – The World of Wheel of Time Track covers all the things Wheel of Time from the books to the Amazon Prime TV show
Brandon Sanderson Track – In this track all things Sanderson are discussed.
Workshops – Do you like to learn new skills or how to make items? Visit the JordanCon Workshops Track to unleash your crafty side or your unquenchable thirst for knowledge. Here, participants acquire different skills. Sign-ups are located at registration at the beginning of the convention.
Many workshops focus on learning a craft, such as: costuming, dancing, metalworking, painting, woodworking, or even 3-D printing. Some workshops focus on learning more intangible skills, such as calligraphy, copyright rules, running a fan store, or even laying out an eBook. Workshops are announced in advance of JordanCon so anyone can join in the Workshop Track fun!
Speaking of Workshops…
Jordancon is more than just panels; it is also a chance for some hands-on activities. Every year the Workshop staff looks far and wide to come up with amazing workshops for con-goers to attend. The best part about the workshops is that you don’t have to be familiar with The Wheel of Time to enjoy them. It is perfect for those of you that are attending with a fan but haven’t read the books.
While some of the workshops require preregistration before the con, you can register for most at the Con. The signup sheets for workshops can be found near the registration desk. Be sure to ask when you check in where to go to register for workshops. If there is a cost to a workshops, the fee should be paid directly to the workshop instructor. Exact change is appreciated.
Workshops for Jordancon 2022
- Alcohol Ink Pour Painting with Alexandra Klimek ($15) – Create a painting on wood with alcohol ink using pouring and blending techniques. Class limit 15.
- Braid Tugging with Melisa Grooms – Learn some great hair up-do styles perfect for the JordanCon Dance. Limit: 12, over 12+
- Crocheting Doomslug with Karen Ahlstrom ($5) – Learn to crochet Doomslug from the Skyward series. Class limit 15.
- Braiding on a Loom: Kumihimo with Deana Whitney ($6) – Learn the basics of 4 & 8 strand braiding. Can create hundreds of cord styles. Class Limit: 8
- Tarot Reading with Katharine Reid – An introduction to the basics of tarot reading.
- Make your own Hero of the Horn with Karen Ahlstrom ($5) – As seen on TV! Make a ragdoll Birgitte. Class limit 15
- Cross Stitching with Maureen Carr ($5) – Cross-stitch Wheel of Time Characters. Fee $5.00 Class limit: 15.
Any questions can be sent to workshops Director Amelie Downing at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Now that you know a little more about the technical aspects of the schedule, here are your next steps:
- Take a look at the JordanCon 2022 Schedule
- Decide what Panels and/or Activities you want to participate in
- Check out the Volunteer Sign-Up Page to see where you can help.
- Get ready to meet the family you didn’t know you needed!