One of my favorite things about JordanCon is all the cosplay you see. And it is not just Wheel of Time cosplay. It is from all over the fantasy genre.
And trust me, cosplay does not go unappreciated at JordanCon, which is why we have an amazing costume contest every year.
The costume contest takes place on Saturday and is open to everyone (even kids). In this post, we are going to cover some basic information about the contest, but if you are considering entering you should review the full Costume Contest Rule Packet that can be found HERE. And for our veteran con-goers, even if you have participated in the costume contest in the past you should still check out the rules as some things have changed.
The first thing you need to decide is if you want to compete for Juried Awards or Judge’s Choice/Audience Choice.
Juried Awards: Juried Awards include Best in Show, Best in Class, and Best Workmanship. Each of these categories is divided into 3 classes:
- .Novice– Anyone who has never won an award before.
- Journeyman– Anyone who has won 2 or fewer best in class awards or no more than 1 best in show.
- Master– Anyone who has won best in show more than once or Best in Class 3 or more times.
There is mandatory pre-judging for the juried awards that take place at 4 pm on Saturday in the main program hall. Make sure you are on time for this.
Audience Choice: The Audience Choice award is determined by audience applause and general rowdiness.
Judge’s Choice: The Judge’s Choice Award is left up to the discretion of each judge.
How to Enter: You will need to register for the costume contest on Saturday Morning between 11 am and 1 pm at the registration desk. This is the same place you picked up your badge.
Two important things to remember:
- Registrations are first-come, first-serve
- Only the first twenty (20) juried registrations will be accepted (so don’t dilly dally)
Awards: What is a contest without awards?! Kind of boring, that’s what. So, of course, our costume contest has awards. The following awards will be given at the end of the contest.
- Best in Show– The best overall entrant from all classes.
- Best in Class– The best entrant from each class that is not also the Best in Show.
- Best Workmanship– The entrant with the best workmanship who has not also won Best in Class or Show.
- Judges Choice– Each judge may choose to present an award to any contestant that does not also receive a Best of award.
- Audience Choice– This award will be chosen based on audience reaction.
The costume contest is one of the highlights of the Con. I encourage anyone who plans on cosplaying to participate. And if you aren’t cosplaying, come out and support these amazingly talented individuals.